Monday 11 April 2016

Critical Reflection on Project Learning

For the project, my group and I have decided to talk about "Active listening and resolving conflicts within a family". Why active listening? As a student, we feel that many of us are able to relate to it easily. Apart from that, we as team also feel that we should strain the importance of the things taught in class such as active listening and conflict management or resolving conflicts. As for the project, we were given specific time requirements such as the 5 minute presentation and the 3 minute video.

Coming from the engineering field, I rarely had the chance to practice my language and also my oral presentation skills. Previously, my idea of a presentation was to read out everything from the slide clearly and get it done and over with. From there, I have gotten a lot of feedback about eye contact and other non-verbal cues. However, my perception of a presentation changed after attending this module called “Interpersonal and Work Communication” taught by Brad. Through this module, I have learnt a lot of things that applies to our presentation skills such as verbal and non-verbal communications and etc. With that, I would like to take this opportunity to reflect on my oral presentation skills.

In this module, we were given two chances to present. Firstly the mock presentation and next, the actual presentation. Referring back to constructive criticisms that was given to me on the actual and mock presentation, I realized that my posture and non-verbal cues has always been an important factor affecting my presentation. For example, not making enough eye contact and the position of which I was standing at. Apart from that, I also have the tendency of repeating a few word which may be very annoying to the audience. Despite the criticisms, I have managed to improve on my verbal articulation and voice projection. As a whole, I am very pleased to be given this opportunity to explore more about myself and also learn more on how I am able to improve my language and oral presentation skills. Thank you Brad (:

HyirahhSyahirahh
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited on:
11th April 2016
18th April 2016


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Hirah, for this brief reflection on the presentation component of our course. You address a few of the areas where you feel you've learned something, namely nonverbal expression during the presentation and articulation of ideas. We'll discuss these when we meet on Friday.

    I'm curious, of course, about other elements of your project learning. Do you feel, in retrospect, that the choice of listening within the family was a good one for your main topic? Did any of the research that you did surprise you? In your own family, can what you have learned be applied?

    These are issues that jump out at me when I think of you writing a project reflection. I know you're busy and that it's easier just to go with something as obvious as presentation skills. Still, can I be faulted for expecting more directly related to your project content from you?

    ReplyDelete